We are a diverse, interdisciplinary team who likes to tackle important questions in systems medicine by developing and using novel machine learning algorithms. Our ultimate goal is to identify risk factors and mechanisms affecting aging and contributing to the onset and progression of chronic diseases and cancer. We also develop predictive methods and tools that can directly improve health. We use probabilistic graphical models and other machine learning methods to integrate and mine high-dimensional, multi-modal biomedical data and to investigate biological processes pertinent to health and disease.
Web server: https://db.cs.pitt.edu/causalmgm/
From titles and abstracts of Benos’ group 2020-2022.
Representative Recent publications
- F. Shan, A.R. Cillo, C. Cardello, D.Y. Yuan, S.R. Kunning, J. Cui, C. Lampenfeld, A.M. Williams, A.P. McDonough, R.L. Ferris, T.C. Bruno, C.J. Workman, P.V. Benos, D.A.A. Vignali, “Integrated BATF transcriptional network regulates suppressive intratumoral regulatory T cells”, Science Immunology (2023) accepted. [Abstract] [Article]
- M. Jia*, P.A. Agudelo Garcia, J.A. Ovando-Ricardez, T. Tabib, H.T. Bittar, R.A. Lafyatis, A.L. Mora†, P.V. Benos†, M. Rojas†, “Transcriptional Changes of the Aging Lung”, Aging Cell (2023) accepted. [Abstract] [Article]
- K.L. Bushur, C. Riley, A. Saferali, P. Castaldi, G. Zhang, F. Aguet, K.G. Ardlie, P. Durda, W.C. Johnson, S. Kasela, Y. Liu, A. Manichaikul, S.S. Rich, J.I. Rotter, J. Smith, K.D. Taylor, R.P. Tracy, T. Lappalainen, R.G. Barr, F. Sciurba, C.P. Hersh, P.V. Benos, “Distinct COPD subtypes in former smokers revealed by gene network perturbation analysis”, Respiratory Research (2023) 24:30. [Abstract] [Article]
- X. Bing*, T. Lovelace*. F. Bunea, M. Wegkamp, S.P. Kasturi, H. Singh†, P.V. Benos†, J. Das†, “Essential Regression: A generalizable framework for inferring causal latent factors from multi-omic datasets”, Patterns (2022) 3:100473. [Abstract] [Article] *equal contribution; †co-corresponding authors
- T. Cruz*, M. Jia*, J.C. Sembrat, T. Tabib, D.A.A. Vignali, P. Sanchez, R. Lafyatis, A.L. Mora, P. Benos, M. Rojas, “Reduced Proportion and Activity of Natural Killer Cells in the Lung of Patients with Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis”, Am J Resp Crit Care Med (2021) 204:608-610. [Abstract] [Article] *equal contribution
News & Highlights
Congratulations to Tyler Lovelace for the acceptance of his first co-author BMC Medicine paper, which is entitled “Integrated unbiased multiomics…
Congratulations to Robert Gregg for the acceptance of his AJRCCM paper (“Blue journal”), which is entitled “Early Evidence of COPD Obscured by…
Congratulations to Minxue Jia for the acceptance of his first author Aging Cell paper, which is entitled “Transcriptional Changes of the Aging…